Yacht Metalworks, a small marine welding/fabricating, in business in N. Van. for over 35 years, is looking for a part-time Welding Shop Assistant. Our shop is located on the grounds of The Creek Marina, not far from Lonsdale Quay.
We are looking for someone who would like to consider becoming a professional welder through an apprenticeship program.
Requirements: No work experience required, but an ability to safely use and work around power tools, machinery and heavy equipment is required.
Applicants must be willing and able to be trained on the job to work safely around the many hazards present in a metal fabrication shop.
This is a physically demanding job and requires the ability to:
- Lift up to 25 kg
- Stand for long periods of time
- Safely use many types of hand and power tools, including, but not limited to:
- saws, grinders and drills
- pneumatic ironworker machine
- metal bending and shearing equipment
- forklifts, hoists, and overhard cranes
- Communicate effectively with customers, suppliers and coworkers
Use of CSA approved personal protective equipment such as protective footwear and appropriate clothing (to be supplied by the employee), respirator masks, and eye and hearing protection is required.
Duties: Since this is a very small (but very busy) shop with only two full-time workers (including the owner/operator) the duties of all employees are many and varied. This list below is just a sampling of potential duties:
- Shop and yard cleanup
- Material handling (metal sheets, bars, tubes etc.)
- Drilling, cutting and shearing metal to the required size and shape
- Shipping and receiving
Hours: Flexible. Let us know when you are available after school, on weekends, and during the summer.
Please contact Rick Davidson at email@example.com